10 Blood Clot in Brain Symptoms

By jolene
Reviewed: Dr. Mera
Article Sources Article Sources
Medical Expert Medical Expert

A blood clot, or thrombus, in the brain is also known as an ischemic stroke. It blocks the blood supply to the brain. About 80 percent of strokes are ischemic while the remaining 20 percent are hemorrhagic.

In ischemic stroke, when the blood clot blocks the blood flow to the brain tissue, it results in tissue death. While an ischemic stroke may also occur due to atherosclerosis (narrowing of blood vessels because of plaque), most blood clots in the brain are formed somewhere else in the circulatory system; most commonly in the heart due to atrial fibrillation or in the carotid arteries.

This article looks at 10 symptoms of a blood clot in the brain.

Symptom #1: Hemiparesis, Monoparesis, Quadriparesis

Hemiparesis refers to weakness on one side of the body. When severe, it is also known as hemiplegia, which means complete paralysis of one side of the body. Monoparesis describes weakness of a single limb while monoplegia is complete paralysis of one limb. Quadriparesis is weakness of all four limbs and torso. Quadriplegia, where patients have complete paralysis of all four limbs and torso, can also be known as tetraplegia.

Common associated symptoms include numbness, weakness, and pain. Some causes include tumors, trauma, and stroke.

Blood Clot In Brain

Home | Privacy Policy | Editorial | Unsubscribe | | About Us

This site offers information designed for entertainment & educational purposes only. With any health related topic discussed on this site you should not rely on any information on this site as a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, treatment, advice, or as a substitute for, professional counseling care, advice, treatment, or diagnosis. If you have any questions or concerns about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.