What Is Bullous Pemphigoid?

By kevin
Reviewed: Dr. Mera
Article Sources Article Sources
Medical Expert Medical Expert

Bullous Pemphigoid is a rare autoimmune disorder that occurs when the immune system attacks the thin layer of tissue below the upper layer of the skin. It is characterized by skin rashes and blistering. Though the condition can affect any person of any age, it most commonly affects the elderly.

There are several presentations of this disease. For instance, the most common type of bullous pemphigoid is the generalized bullous form, where tense fluid-filled sacs (bullae) can arise in any part of the skin surface. Moreover, other less common forms involve the presence of groups of tiny vesicles or itchy hive-like lesions that may or may not evolve into bullae.

1. What Are the Symptoms of Bullous Pemphigoid?

The most common form of bullous pemphigoid usually presents with skin lesions known as bullae, which are tense fluid-filled sacs. These can involve any portion of the skin surface, but they often appear along creases or folds in the skin. Typical locations for bullous pemphigoid include the lower abdomen, upper thighs, or armpits. Rarely, the involvement of the oral and ocular surfaces occurs.

The skin around the blisters sometimes remains clear, but it can also develop a red hue. Itchiness is also common. On occasions, especially in the elderly, itching may be the only sign of disease. In other forms of bullous pemphigoid, bullae may or may not arise after persistent hive-like lesions.

Bullous Pemphigoid

Home | Privacy Policy | Editorial | Unsubscribe | | About Us

This site offers information designed for entertainment & educational purposes only. With any health related topic discussed on this site you should not rely on any information on this site as a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, treatment, advice, or as a substitute for, professional counseling care, advice, treatment, or diagnosis. If you have any questions or concerns about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.