What Is Esotropia?

By jolene
Article Sources Article Sources
Medical Expert Medical Expert

Esotropia is a condition where one or both of the eyes are misaligned and turn inward. It is a form of strabismus (condition where the eyes are not aligned when looking at one object). Esotropia can be present intermittently or constantly to give the individual a “cross-eyed” appearance.

Esotropia is the opposite of exotropia (misalignment to turn outward). It can result in a condition known as amblyopia. Amblyopia, also known as lazy eye, is a condition where there is reduction of vision that cannot be resolved through contact lenses or eye glasses. In esotropia, which causes double vision, the brain suppresses or ignores the image from the affected eye. Left untreated, this results in amblyopia.

1. Accommodative Esotropia

Accommodative esotropia refers to esotropia that occurs due to efforts of accommodation. Accommodation is the eye’s ability to focus on objects of different distance. Accommodative esotropia is often seen in individuals with hyperopia (farsightedness-unable to see close objects unless held further away). The chances of accommodative esotropia occurring may correlate with the amount of hyperopia present. A large degree of hyperopia means no clear vision can be produced with accommodation. When the degree is small enough for accommodation but large enough to disrupt binocular control, it will result in esotropia. There is no racial or gender predilection for accommodative esotropia. If present, the condition is usually noticeable by the age of 2 years.


Home | Privacy Policy | Editorial | Unsubscribe | | About Us

This site offers information designed for entertainment & educational purposes only. With any health related topic discussed on this site you should not rely on any information on this site as a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, treatment, advice, or as a substitute for, professional counseling care, advice, treatment, or diagnosis. If you have any questions or concerns about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.